Recently, I had a wonderful visit to the Sedgwick Museum of Earth Science in Cambridge with the Society of Children’s Writers and Book Illustrators, also known as (SCBWI.)
I fell in love with the crystal section. There are so many amazing exhibits: Quartz, smoky Quartz, Precious Opal, Rose Quartz, Amethyst, Beryl, Heulandite, Malachite, Calcite, to name a few. I was really in my element!
The above Obsidian caught my eye as did all the other wonderful crystals and fossils on display.
‘Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock.’ Wikipedia.
Black Obsidian has many names and is often referred to as Royal Agate, Xaga, Glassy Lava and Glass Agate. It is born at a rapid speed from cooled volcanic lava.
This volcanic aspect explains why it has the most potent energies. It has the elements of fire, water, and earth in a truly explosive mix!
It is considered to be a most potent stone and has been around since pre-historic times. In ancient times, it was used to construct arrowheads, spears and tools.
There are many fascinating properties of Obsidian.
Chakras – Base Chakra
Zodiac – Scorpio (Me!) Sagittarius
Element – Earth/Fire
Typical colours – Black, silvery or brown
The base chakra controls our sense of “grounding” in our world and is associated with our fundamental instincts to stay safe and survive. It also refers to the physical body, our individuality and need for stability and security.
The following are just some of its amazing attributes:
- It wards off negativity.
- It is a very creative stone. Writers and artists take note!
- Used by light workers, spiritualists, alchemists and shamans due to its ability to heal.
- It is grounding. Obsidian is especially helpful if you are on the path to success. Authors take note! Otherwise you might be overwhelmed by the fame, fortune, and paparazzi of your success! Ha ha, one can dream…
- Stone of truth. This really fascinated me and this property became one of the storylines in my novel!
- It reveals secrets and mysteries. Again, this is so intriguing – The Curse of Time thrives on secrets and mysteries!
- It cuts through lies, removes blockages and works like a mirror so that you can see your own faults, mistakes and weaknesses. Love it!
- Stimulates the gift of prophecy and insight.
- A helpful tool for meditation.
- It’s a great health elixir. Helps digestion, eases gall bladder problems, lowers high blood pressure and is good for the heart, arthritis pain, joint problems and cramps. It warms the extremities. Its healing energy can benefit your muscle tissues. It is recommended for bacterial or viral infections, too.
- Draws out stress and tension.
- Good for depression and anxiety.
- It is a lucky stone! Perhaps having an Obsidian in your personal crystal collection might help you become wealthy!
As you can see Obsidian is a truly powerful stone! I find it fascinating that it has an affinity with Scorpios as I am a Scorpio! Perhaps this is why I wrote about it… I had no clue about that. It does make you wonder…
To find out more about my debut novel please follow the links:
Please visit my author page on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-J-Mallon/e/B074CGNK4L/
And my author website to discover more about my writing: https://mjmallon.com
One of my main sources of inspiration – The incredible crystal grotto – The Light Pours Out of Me by Anya Gallaccio in Juniper Artland, Wilkieston, Scotland: https://mjmallon.com/2014/06/15/jupiter-artland-the-light-pours-out-of-me/
Hope you enjoyed my post about Obsidian.
To read about my previous post – The Magnificent Bloodstone Crystal please follow the link: https://sistersofthefey.wordpress.com/2018/01/29/the-magnificent-bloodstone-crystal/