Learning to Understand Your Gift(s)
Definition of an Empath:
“An Empath is a person who is able to recognize and identify the emotions of others.” Empaths are attuned to feel empathy, are sensitive as is their nature and have a strong moral aptitude. They are interactive with another person’s emotions and are understanding of those emotions. Empathy and Sympathy are cognitively very different. Sympathy is pity whereas Empathy is compassion, caring, and love.
What makes an Empath empathic? They are deeply attuned to all emotions they encounter, have heightened intuition, are strongly self-aware, become in sync with the energy of other people, have a compassionate nature, and felt love and empathy at a very young age. They are generally trustworthy, honest, have a contemplative nature, their concern for others is genuine, are sensitive of others emotional pain, are altruistic, deeply respect all living things, often ponder the meaning of life, are wise, and are often introverts. True Empaths feel the physical pain echoes of others.
Some believers say that Empathic people need to avoid all negative energy and other peoples’ pain. In actuality true Empaths are drawn to people who are suffering because Empaths feel the need to give compassion, to help another in whatever way they can.
Empaths, whether they are aware or not aware they are Empaths, feel emotions from others deeply whether positive or negative emotions. However, people with negative emotions are suffering from emotional injuries to their psyche. These are the people that need Empaths the most. People with happy emotions are balanced and have dealt with the highs and lows of life successfully.
For example, if you work with someone or know someone who is radiantly happy one day and miserably unhappy the next. This person may be an unaware Empath who unknowingly takes on the negative emotions of another person and don’t know they are Empaths. You may want to take the time and talk with the unaware Empath. You might dramatically improve the life of this unaware Empath who is probably thinking they have become emotionally unstable.
Often, even aware Empaths (without important knowledge about their abilities) may still hide themselves away from others and think of their gift as a curse. They have yet to learn to embrace this very special gift to improve their life, and often the lives of others through their Empathic gifts (Precognitive, Psychometric, Telepathic, Physical, Geomantic, Emotional, and Animal/Plant Empaths).
Empaths, whether aware or not aware of their gift or gift(s) struggle with what to do with their gift, and even with the most positive energy encounter, an untrained Empath may be unprepared and are often drained emotionally afterward. A knowledgeable Empath already knows how to emotionally handle positive and negative energy from others they are helping and may or may not feel drained unless the energy field is more than negative, this would normally mean it is a diseased person’s pathological state of mind. Persons who have a diseased state of mind should be compassionately motivated to seek professional help.
Restoring Your Energy
- Find a quiet space to restore your energy: After extended periods of time with other people an Empath will often feel exhausted even if the energy field is positive. It is recommended that you prepare a place well ahead of time that is conducive to acquiring a renewed peace of mind. This place should be an area that is calming, relaxing, and private. It should contain things that calm you and renew your sense of peace/well-being.
- Running Away from Negative Energy: I do not agree with this perception of what an Empath should do. My definition of what an Empathic person should do and be is to help others who are suffering, and negative energy almost always means an emotionally hurt individual who needs the help of an Empath who understands both positive and negative energy.
- Show Gratitude: Being grateful is a key element of cultivating a peaceful mindset, helping you to naturally cultivate partnerships with other people.
- Reach Out to Other Empaths: Empaths are often told they are too sensitive and that can really upend the apple cart for many Empaths. Empaths often read tiny details into what they see and feel and become rigid in their daily activities. It is almost as though you may feel like an alien being because no one seems to understands you. This is when you know you must gather your strength and reach out to other communities some are online that do cater to Empaths. It is a wonderful feeling to experience a sense of belonging, knowing that other Empaths have experienced the same thing as you. You read their emotions as well, and understand that they are well-adjusted, peaceful, and for the most part happy with their gift(s).
- Mediate: As an Empath, this ancient practice is key to restoring balance to your mind and spirit. Meditation clears the mind; it flushes out negative energy and improves your sense of being regarding your mind and your spirit. Meditation also helps you to develop a stronger identity of who you are. If you are secure knowing who you are, very little can turn your life upside down.
- Have an Outlet: Your life should not be totally consumed with being an Empath; balance is key to being happy about who you are. Joining activities that you like such as hiking, swimming, going to the gym to workout, writing, artistic works, are all activities that help to clear away negative energy, are fun to do, and add a healthful way of being.
- Follow Your Dreams: Being an Empath is part of your DNA, but you have many other talents, so develop them, become successful at them. The more you accept your emotional depth of feelings, the larger, greater your reservoir of creativity. There are many areas to choose from; writing stories, a novel, poetry, becoming an artist, a dancer, a volunteer, and allowing yourself all the creativity that comes with being an Empath. Being an Empath is a gift not a curse. Life as an Empath is all about what you make it.
Psychic Empath by Kimberly Moon
The Positive Trait Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi